3 to 4 slices bacon, sliced into 1” pieces
1/4 cup onion, diced 1”
1/4 cup celery, diced 1”
2 tbsp all purpose flower
1 cup sake
4 cups of Five Way Foods - Fish Bone Broth
1 cup yukon gold potato, diced 1” cubes
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp thyme
2 cups heavy cream
1 bay leaf
4 to 6 clams or cockles
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper, coarse ground
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Soak clams or cockles in 6 cups of ice water with 1 tsp sea salt. Allow them to release any sand, changing the bath as necessary until they are “clean”.
- In a medium pot, cook bacon over medium heat until golden and crispy. Remove bacon, chop to 1” pieces, and set aside.
- In the bacon fat, cook the onion and celery over medium heat for 5-8min until the onion is translucent.
- Add flour and cook 3-5 min until it absorbs all the fat and is no longer powdery. It should clump up a little.
- Add sake little by little, whisking the flour chunks to loosen. Add remaining sake, Five Way Foods Fish Bone Broth, potatoes, bay leaf, oregano, thyme, and cream.
- Simmer on low heat for 20 min uncovered until the potatoes are cooked through. Stir occasionally so nothing sticks to the bottom.
- Add clams and cook, covered, for 5-10 min until they open up.
- Add sea salt to taste, then finish with black pepper and drizzle of olive oil.
Enjoy the chowder on its own or with toasted bread!